Council tax reductions for students
Your council tax may be reduced if you are a full-time student.
The following discounts are available:
- 25% discount if all but one of the adults living at the property are students
- 100% exemption if the property is occupied solely by students
You may get a discount if one of the following applies:
- you are studying a specified course of education for 21 hours a week over 24 weeks in each academic year
- you are under 20 and studying for A levels, Highers, HNDs, HNCs and Level 4 SVQs for at least 12 hours a week over three months
We'll also treat you as a student if you're registered with the British Council as a foreign language assistant and work in a school or other educational establishment.
Apply for a discount
You will need to provide information on:
- your identity
- your education or course
- the property you live in
- anyone else living in your household
You can also call 030 33 33 3005 or visit one of our customer service centres .
What happens next
We aim to deal with applications within 14 days of receiving all of the relevant information. Your account will be updated as soon as a decision is made.
Changes in your circumstances
You should always let us know if your circumstances change for any reason.
- Call 030 33 33 3005 or visit one of our customer service centres .