Council tax reductions for people in prison
Your council tax may be reduced if someone from your household is in detention or prison. Prisoners on remand won't get a discount.
People who are in prison can be ignored when we're calculating council tax bills. The following discounts are available when a householder is in prison:
- 25% discount if the property still has one adult resident
- 100% exemption if the property is left unoccupied
Apply for a reduction
You'll need to provide information on:
- the identity of the person in prison
- details of the property and council tax account
- evidence from the institution where the person is detained
You can also call 030 33 33 3005 or visit one of our customer service centres.
What happens next
We aim to deal with applications within 14 days of receiving all of the relevant information. Your account will be updated as soon as a decision is made.
Changes in your circumstances
You should always let us know if your circumstances change for any reason.
- Call 030 33 33 3005 or visit one of our customer service centres