Trading standards advice for consumers
We provide consumer protection and regulate local trading. Advice on a range of consumer problems is provided in partnership with the Citizens Advice Scotland.
Citizens Advice Scotland can provide information and advice on a range of consumer issues including:
- faulty goods and services
- buying a used car
- holiday problems
Contact Citizens Advice Scotland's Consumer Helpline or call 03454 04 05 06 if you need more help with a consumer problem.
Report a scam or illegal trading
We're particularly interested in receiving information about:
- traders calling on you to offer home improvement services, such as gardening, roofing and driveway work.
- traders who exploit you with over-priced or misdescribed goods or services.
- traders supplying age restricted products, such as tobacco, alcohol, knives or fireworks to those under age.
- illegal money lending activity (loan sharks)
- scam mail such as lottery win letters
- counterfeit (fake) goods
- the sale of non-duty paid cigarettes
You can also email email@example.com or call 030 33 33 3000.
Doorstep crime and no cold calling zones
Trusted Trader scheme
Our Trusted Trader scheme helps you to choose a reputable trader from customer feedback.
We monitor the safety of goods on sale and you can find out about recalled goods.