Council tax reductions for disabled people
Your council tax may be reduced if someone living in your home is disabled.
Households which qualify for a reduction will pay the charge for a council tax band lower, a discount would be applied for properties already in the lowest band.
You may get a discount if your property has one of the following:
- an extra bathroom or kitchen to meet a disabled resident's needs
- enough floor space for a disabled resident to use a wheelchair indoors
- a room (not a bathroom, kitchen or toilet) to meet a disabled resident's needs
These features need to be essential or hugely important to the disabled person, without the room(s) or space it would be physically impossible or extremely difficult for them to live in the house.
Apply for a discount
You will need to provide:
- information about the disabled person
- information about the property
- supporting evidence from your doctor
You can also call 030 33 33 3005 or visit one of our customer service centres.
What happens next
We aim to deal with applications within 14 days of receiving all of the relevant information. Your account will be updated as soon as a decision is made.
Changes in your circumstances
You should always let us know if your circumstances change for any reason.
- Call 030 33 33 3005 or visit one of our customer service centres