Free school transport
Free school transport is available for some school children attending primary or secondary school if they live within the school catchment area and if they meet certain criteria.
Your child is not entitled to transport if they attend an alternative school by parental choice. It is the responsibility of the parent/guardian to organise transport to the school.
You can perform an address search if you aren't sure which schools are in your area.
Your child may receive free transport if they are:
- under 8 years old and live 2 miles away from their catchment school
- over 8 years old and live 3 miles away from their catchment school
- Roman Catholic, attending the denominational school for their address and live further than statutory distance from that school
You should apply through the school. If successful you or the school will be contacted with the transport arrangements.
Other circumstances we may consider
If your child attends their catchment school but would not normally be entitled to free transport we may consider providing if:
- your child has been recommended transport on health grounds by medical officer. If this is the case, you should contact your Headteacher in the first instance
- your child requires transport because of additional support needs recommended by the relevant Supporting Learners Area Team
We use various services to provide school transport:
- school contract buses hired from private companies where travel passes are issued for pupils only
- Dumfries and Galloway council school buses (DGC Buses)
- taxis, private hire cars and minibuses
- local bus services where travel passes (tickets) are issued for children to use for travel to and from the school (please note that grace and favour transport is not available on these services)
- a mileage allowance to drive your child to school in your own car if you live remote from other children and away from an established route.
Grace and favour places
Your child may get a grace and favour place if you live near a school transport route and there is a seat available on a dedicated school transport route.
These places can be allocated to pupils who are not normally entitled to travel. You must re apply each school year and this place may have to be withdrawn at any time should spaces be required for eligible pupils or if the maximum capacity or route of a vehicle is changed.
Complete an application form to apply for a grace and favour place. The completed form should then be submitted to the school your child attends.