Equality and diversity
Dumfries and Galloway Council is committed to equality of opportunity for all people within our community.
Everyone should have the same chances to do what they can but some people may need extra help. The Equality Act 2010 intends to make Britain a fairer and equal place for everyone. We have a duty to:
- eliminate discrimination, harassment and victimisation
- promote equality of opportunity
- foster good relations between people who share a protected characteristic and those who do not.
We have developed equality outcomes and associated actions based on views and experiences that local people have shared with us. Councillors received an update on the equality work at their meeting on Tuesday 28 March:
- View an update to councillors (Item 9)
There are a number of documents which explain how we build equality into our work:
- Equality Outcomes 2017 - 2021 [34kb]
- Equalities Mainstream Report [834kb]
- Equal Pay Statement [280kb]
- Gender pay gap report, occupational segregation reports, Equal Pay statement and Improvement Plan 2015 [173kb]
Equality monitoring helps us comply with legislation.
We routinely monitor equality and diversity information, for example as part of forms and surveys. All answers are confidential and help us to continually improve our services and ensure that we get them right.
We assess whether the decisions we make are likely to impact on different groups of people across the region. The results of our impact assessments should highlight any barriers or discrimination that might affect people using our services.
We are part of the Community Planning partnership in Dumfries and Galloway along with representatives from a wide range of partners, including representatives from:
- Age Scotland
- Dumfries and Galloway Interfaith Group
- Dumfries and Galloway Multicultural Association
- LGBT Plus
- LGBT Youth Scotland
We work with our partners to challenge the barriers that people face arising from discrimination and disadvantage in line with 9 protected characteristics:
- Gender reassignment / transgender identity
- Marriage and civil partnership
- Pregnancy and maternity
- Religion or belief
- Sex / gender
- Sexual orientation