Respite breaks for carers

Our Short Breaks Bureau can help arrange a break for the person you care for so that you both get a break. Other local services can help too.

Breaks can be provided as a one-off or on a more regular basis and can range from a couple of hours to a couple of weeks or longer. You and the person you care for can both enjoy a change of routine, either together or separately.

How to get a short break

Dumfries and Galloway Carers Centre will refer carers who are eligible for respite support. You need to fill in a referral and Adult Carers Support Plan  which will highlight your caring needs.

Funding short breaks

Short breaks can be funded in different ways.

  • Paid for through self-directed support
  • Charitable funding
  • Provided as part of current care package
  • Partially funded - shared between you and the local authority
  • Payed for completely by you

Even if you have to pay for a short break yourself our Short Breaks Bureau can still help with advice and information.

Other ways to get a break

You'll still need an Adult Carers Support Plan but there are other organisations who can help you to get a break.

Page last updated: 07/05/2019
email icon print icon