Langholm Flood Protection Scheme
Langholm was identified as a Potentially Vulnerable Area (PVA) in the National Flood Risk Assessment published by SEPA in December 2011.
RPS Consultants were appointed by the Council to undertake Flood Modelling in the town and their report was finalised in June 2017.
RPS have now been appointed to take the project forward with the Council and to undertake outline design of a flood protection scheme.
Timeline and Outline Plan
- May - Option review meeting to discuss deliverable and preferred option/s.
- June - Public engagement event.
- July - Update to Economy, Environment & Infrastructure Committee on preferred option/s.
- July/November - Outline design of preferred option.
- December - Option review meeting to refine preferred option.
- January - Presentation to Community Council.
- February - Public engagement event.
- March/April - Prepare Flood Order documents.
- May - Report to EEI on preferred option and approval to publish scheme.
- June - Publication of flood scheme.
- July/August - Review of representations and modifications.
- September - Report to EEI on outcome of flood order.
Dumfries and Galloway Council and PRS met with the local Elected Members and Langholm, Ewes and Westerkirk Community Council on 5 September 2018 to discuss the scheme and the next steps.
Works are required at Holmwood Drive to protect properties from water run-off from the surrounding hills. This will involve the installation of a combination of drains and berms to intercept overland flows west of Holmwood Drive, Langholm to discharge into the Meikleholm Side watercourse which will alleviate the flood risk to properties and gardens at Holmwood Drive and Meikleholm Side, Langholm. An outline design has been prepared but it will be necessary to undertake ground investigations prior to preparing the detailed design and going out to tender.
A contract strategy is being progressed and the ground investigation works will be carried out in early 2019. Tenders for the main works will then be sought with anticipated commencement of the scheme at the beginning of August 2019 and completion by end October 2019.
Email langholmFPS@dumgal.gov.uk if you require any further information.