Dumfries and Galloway Flood Recovery Support

This webpage is designed as a one-stop shop for households and businesses affected by severe flooding. It signposts to help and support available.

When we update it, we'll tell you on our social media - so you don't have to keep checking back. You can get our updates by following us on Facebook and Twitter.

Grants and support for households and tenants

Scottish Welfare Fund

The Scottish Welfare Fund is able to assist those affected by flooding where they do not have any other form of support. For example, if you do not have home or contents insurance.

Any support received from the Scottish Welfare Fund will not affect benefit entitlements.

The fund is divided into two areas: Crisis grants and Community Care grants.

Crisis grants

These can provide emergency one-off payments to assist with immediate living expenses such as food, gas and electricity.

Further information, including how to apply, can be found at: Crisis grants - Dumfries and Galloway Council (dumgal.gov.uk).

Community Care grants

These are awards of furniture and household goods to help people set up home or remain in the community.

Further information, including how you can apply, can be found at: Community care grants - Dumfries and Galloway Council (dumgal.gov.uk).

You can also apply over the phone by requesting a call-back on 030 3333 3007.

Climate Resilience Fund 

This fund will help the organisation to make changes to enable faster recovery from being flooded. This fund will complement the Flood Product Subsidy Scheme which covers products to prevent ingress of water into the property.

Please note that the Flood Resilience Grant is only available for premises that have been flooded at least once in the last 5 years or twice in the last 10 years.

Further information, including how to apply, can be found at: https://www.bgatewaydumgal.com/how-we-can-help/climate-resilience-fund/.

Help with council tax and housing benefit

If you have had to move out of your home for an extended period for repairs to be undertaken and the property is left unoccupied and unfurnished, you may be entitled to up to 12 months exemption from council tax if you have a sole or main residence elsewhere and the damaged property is no longer deemed to be your home. Please contact us to advise and we will support you through any changes to your Housing Benefit/Universal Credit and/or Council Tax liability.

Please email counciltax@dumgal.gov.uk or call 030 33 33 3005 ensuring you provide your full name, names of all other adults affected, address of the property, address you are living in.

Further information is available on our website at www.dumgal.gov.uk/counciltax

Flood Re Build Back Better Insurance

Flood Re helps households at the highest risk of flooding. It is a re-insurance scheme that makes flood cover more widely available and affordable as part of your home insurance.

Flood Re will run for 25 years, at which point insurers should be offering policies based on actual risk to property.

It is a world-leading approach to protecting UK homes against the risk of flooding and offers homeowners the chance to install Property Flood Resilience measures up to £10,000 when repairing their properties after a flood.

To find out more please visit Build Back Better - Flood Re

Support for businesses

Advice and information about support for businesses is available after a major flood event through our Business Gateway service. If you haven't heard from one of our advisers and need support, please contact Business Gateway on 01387 808738 or use the link below.


If you are looking to improve or innovate your business after being impacted by flooding, you can contact our partner agency South of Scotland Enterprise. In addition, the Scottish Flood Forum offers support to individuals and communities at risk from flooding.


Business rates discount

If your business premises has been forced to close, you are unable to trade and you have a rating liability, you may apply for unoccupied rates relief Please advise the Business rates of the change to your business circumstances here Non Domestic Rates Enquiry Form - Dumfries and Galloway Council (dumgal.gov.uk) or by calling 01387 260085.

Information about Rates relief for unoccupied properties can be found here https://www.dumgal.gov.uk/article/15189/Business-rates-reductions-for-unoccupied-properties

Bulky uplifts

For information on our Bulky Waste Collection Service please visit Bulky waste collection - Dumfries and Galloway Council (dumgal.gov.uk).

Flooding information and advice: Council

There is lots of advice and information to help protect your family, property and belongings before and after flooding on Dumfries and Galloway Council's dedicated flooding page, including:

You will also find information about flood risk management plans, Whitesands and DGVOST.

Trusted Trader scheme

In addition, if you need to find a tradesperson to repair damage caused by the flooding, our Trusted Trader scheme helps you to choose a reputable trader from customer feedback.

The scheme is aimed mainly at home improvement traders. The traders are reviewed by customers as well as checked and monitored by Dumfries and Galloway Council to make sure they're trading legally.

For further information please visit Trusted Trader scheme - Dumfries and Galloway Council (dumgal.gov.uk)

Where can you find more information on flooding?

The Scottish Environment Protection Agency (SEPA)

SEPA is the flood warning authority for Scotland.

Scottish Water

Scottish Water is responsible for providing water and waste-water services to household customers and wholesale Licenced Providers. It delivers the investment priorities of Ministers within the funding allowed by the Water Industry Commission for Scotland.

The Scottish Flood Forum

The Scottish Flood Forum is a charitable organisation which supports individuals and communities at risk of flooding and that have flooded. It specialises in flood recovery and resilience.

Flooding latest

For the most up-to-date information on weather and for flood alerts:

If you're feeling worried and anxious

This can be a worrying time for people and talking it through with someone can help.

If you have any concerns about your health after being affected by flooding, please consult your GP or call NHS 24 on 111.

Breathing Space

Breathing Space is Scotland's mental health helpline for individuals experiencing symptoms of low mood, depression or anxiety and offers free and confidential advice for individuals over the age of 16. They can be contacted on 0800 83 85 87, 6pm to 2am Monday to Thursday; and from 6pm Friday throughout the weekend to 6am Monday.


Samaritans provide confidential non-judgemental emotional support 24 hours a day for people who are experiencing feelings of distress or despair. You can contact Samaritans free by phoning 116 123.

NHS24 Mental Health Hub

Telephone advice and support on healthcare can be obtained from NHS24 by phoning 111; the Mental Health Hub is open 24/7.


Childline is a free service for children and young people, for whenever they need support or advice. It is open 24/7, and there are many ways to get support. You can call 0800 1111. Other ways are set out on their website: www.childline.org.uk

Mind to Mind

A range of useful information to support your mental wellbeing including feeling anxious, stressed, or low, or having problems or dealing with grief based on what people have found helpful. Visit: https://www.nhsinform.scot/mind-to-mind

Lifelines Scotland Volunteer Responders

Lifelines Scotland is a national NHS project working with government, statutory, voluntary and charitable partners to support the wellbeing of emergency service staff and volunteers in Scotland. Visit: https://www.lifelines.scot

Community Conversations

Community Conversations are an opportunity to talk directly with the Council, on issues that are important to you.

A series of Community Conversations were held across the region in response to the severe flooding that affected householders and businesses earlier in 2023. These drop-in sessions provided an opportunity to access flood recovery information and support from our staff and partners. Further information including the feedback from these sessions is available on our Community Conversations webpage.

Latest news

For the latest news on support available to householders and businesses, and what the Council is doing to help, check out our Latest News page.

For a message from our Co-Leaders click here.

For our social media updates:

Contact us

If you have any general enquiries or are not sure who to talk to, please email us at: contact@dumgal.gov.uk or call us on 030 33 33 3000 or you can write to us at Dumfries and Galloway Council, Council Offices, English Street, Dumfries DG1 2DD and we will direct your enquiry to the right person.



Page last updated: 03/11/2023
email icon print icon