Taxi and private hire licensing
To operate a taxi or private hire business or to drive a taxi you must have a licence from us. You cannot drive a taxi with a private hire car driver's licence.
Taxi and private hire car drivers
Licences are issued for 3 years and you must display an identification badge whilst driving. We need to check:
- your driving licence
- your criminal records check (PVG)
- your medical assessments, if applicable
You'll need to provide:
- your DVLA driving licence
- three passport sized photographs
- Read the licensing conditions for private hire drivers [57kb]
- Read the licensing conditions for taxi drivers [62kb]
- Download an application form [149kb]
Taxi and private hire operators
You must apply for a private hire operator's licence if you wish to operate a taxi private hire service. Operator's licences are issued for a period of 3 years.
- Read the licensing conditionsfor taxi operators within Dumfries trading zone [57kb]
- Read the licensing conditions for taxi operators outwith Dumfries trading zone [54kb]
- Read the licensing conditions for private hire operators [56kb]
- Download an application form for taxi and private hire operators [68kb]
- Download an application form for the substitution of a vehicle [36kb]
Taxi booking offices
As well as an operator's licence you need a licence from us if you open or run a taxi and private hire booking office. You're exempt from a licence if you have no more than three vehicles for hire.