Public entertainment licences
You will need a licence from us if you intend to provide entertainment which members of the public are admitted, even if the event is free.
Free events are most often put on as community events and have a reduced fee.
Apply for a licence
Download and complete the relevant application form. Details of return addresses, fees and supporting documents are included on the forms.
Each licence has a number of conditions that you should read before applying. This includes a condition that you must not be disqualified from holding a licence or have applied for the same licence in the last year.
Any public performance of a film needs a cinema licence:
If you use your premises for the public performance of a play, dance display, singing or theatre act you need a theatre licence:
If you wish to show, demonstrate or perform a hypnotism act in public you need a licence:
- Read the Bungee Jumping Licensing Conditions [48kb]
- Download the Bungee Jumping application form Part A [94kb]
- Download the Bungee Jumping application form Part B [63kb]
- Read the Circus Licensing Conditions [42kb]
- Download the Circus application form Part A [95kb]
- Download the Circus application for Part B [53kb]
- Read the Funfairs Licensing Conditions [42kb]
- Download the Funfairs application form Part A [94kb]
- Download the Funfairs application form Part B [53kb]
- Read the Fireworks Licensing Conditions [70kb]
- Download the Firework Displays application form Part A [95kb]
- Download the Firework Display application form Part B [64kb]
- Download the fireworks exemption application form [45kb]
Indoor music event or festival
If you hold a music event or festival in a premises that holds 350 people or more you need a licence:
Outdoor music event or festival
- Read the Outdoor Music Events Licensing guidance note [118kb]
- Download the Outdoor Music Part A temporary application form [98kb]
- Download the Outdoor Music Event/Festival Part B temporary application form [160kb]
- Read the Free Outdoor Music licence conditions [36kb]
- Application Form - Free Events - Part A Firework Displays [90kb]
- Application Form - Free Events - Part B Firework Displays [59kb]
- Application Form - Free Events - Indoor Music Event [107kb]
- Application Form - Free Events - Part A Outdoor Music [75kb]
- Application Form - Free Events - Part B Outdoor Music [153kb]
Sunbed and tanning centres
- Read the Sunbed licensing conditions [73kb]
- Download the Sunbeds Licence application form Part A [101kb]
- Download the Sunbeds Licence application form Part B [44kb]
What happens next
There is a minimum consultation period of 28 days before applications are considered. This allows people to submit objections or representations before a decision is made. We'll contact you after this.
Comment on an application
Comments of objection or support must be made in writing within 28 days of the licence notice being given. Information on how to do this will be on the notice.
You'll need to provide:
- your name, address and contact details
- the reason for your objection or representation