Funding for young athletes in Annandale and Eskdale
The "Welcome to Langholm" Future Champions Fund is a 5 year programme supported by charities based in Langholm. Awards from the fund aim to help talented young athletes who live in the Annandale and Eskdale area.
The programme has been created to help young talented athletes who live in Annandale and Eskdale to fulfil their sporting potential by maintaining a sensible balance between academic life or employment whilst training and competing as an athlete. The programme aims to reduce the drop-out of talented athletes from sport due to academic and financial pressures.
The "Welcome to Langholm" awards are funded by:
- The David Stevenson Trust
- The Bowman Little Trust
- The Auchterlonie Future Champions Awards
- The Arthur Bell of Langholm Trust
- The Stoneypath Trust
£10,000 will be available each year and will be split between a range of awards:
Level of competition
National / International
National / Regional
Who can apply
Awards are open to individuals aged between 10 and 21 . You must:
- compete at regional, national or international level for their age group
- have potential to progress to national level competition or compete for Scotland / Great Britain at a senior level
- live in Annandale and Eskdale or have a permanent home address in the area
- take part in a sport recognised by sportscotland
You can't apply if you're:
- financially supported through a professional contract or are a professional athlete
- receiving direct funding through National Governing Bodies of Sport (unless you can demonstrate a financial need to receive further funding)
Successful applicants will be required to produce update reports on their progress and funding must be used by the end of the year.
You will be required to take part in media activity promoting the programme and may be required to attend events promoting and supporting the development of their sport in Annandale and Eskdale. We may also request that you include the logos of the funding bodies on bespoke clothing if appropriate.
How to apply
Applications for 2019 can be submitted until Monday 31 December 2018.
Email completed applications and supporting documents to AEASCS@dumgal.gov.uk or send to:
Calum Graham - Lead Officer, Active Schools and Community Sport
What happens next
All of the applications will be considered by a panel of professionals.
If there is a high number of applications then the panel will prioritise applications based on the level and quality of information provided in the application forms. National Governing Bodies will advise on the priority of applications if there are multiple applicants competing in the same sport.
Decisions on funding for 2019 will be announced in March 2019.
Call 01461 207046 or email AEASCS@dumgal.gov.uk if you have any questions.