Support for festivals and events
We're working to establish Dumfries and Galloway as an internationally renowned destination for rural events that continuously attracts new visitors to the region. Advice and funding is available to help.
Major Festivals and Events Strategy
We've developed a Major Festivals and Events Strategy for Dumfries and Galloway which outlines priorities and an action plan for major events. The latest document was adopted in October 2017 and covers the period 2018 to 2021:
The Strategy provides ring-fenced funding to protect and support seven 'Signature Events' in recognition of their sporting, cultural and economic importance to Dumfries and Galloway:
- Big Burns Supper
- Dumfries and Galloway Arts Festival
- RSAC Scottish Rally
- Spring Fling
- Wigtown Book Festival
- World Championship Ice Hockey
The Major Events Strategic Fund
The Major Events Strategic Fund is also available to assist the development of events in Dumfries and Galloway. This competitive fund has supported events such as Electric Fields, the Eden Festival and the Stranraer Oyster Festival in recent years. Events organisations are encouraged to apply to this fund rather than their respective Area Committees.
Financial support for festivals and events could be available if you:
- attract in the region of 1,000 or more unique visitors
- operate on a net budget that exceeds £30,000
- are marketing to a quantifiable target of out of region visitors
- can demonstrate a good return on public sector investment
Applications for 2018/19 are open until 5pm on Friday 8 December:
There are a couple of ways to return completed applications to us:
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Write to Communities Business Management, Municipal Chambers, Dumfries, DG1 2AD
Advice for event organisers
We've also prepared an Events Toolkit which is a practical guide to running festivals and events. The toolkit covers all the key areas of events management and provides some tools that you might find helpful.