Corporate Anti-Fraud and Anti-Corruption Policy Statement and Strategy
The Corporate Anti-Fraud and Anti-Corruption Policy and Strategy details how the Council promotes an anti-fraud and anti-corruption culture among elected Members, employees and the Public.
This Corporate Anti-Fraud and Anti-Corruption Policy and Strategy details how the Council:
- promotes an anti-fraud and anti-corruption culture among elected Members, employees and the public;
- deters and prevents fraud and corruption;
- detects and investigates fraud and corruption; and
- recovers and instigates criminal proceedings.
Dumfries & Galloway Council commits itself to use its best efforts to prevent fraud and corruption from arising in its financial affairs, and it will address robustly any instances of fraud and corruption found in its business dealings.
It will achieve this by:
- Requiring councillors, employees and partner bodies to operate in accordance with the seven principles of public life as identified by the Nolan Committee;
- Maintaining secure financial systems, operating a strong system of internal control and monitoring transactions and activity to assure propriety;
- Providing mechanisms for Councillors, employees, partner organisations, contractors and members of the public to report suspicions of fraud, corruption or other criminal activity;
- Formally investigating suspicions of fraud and corruption where the preliminary evidence suggests it may have taken place;
- Referring cases to the Police and providing support to any criminal investigations where the evidence points to this;
- Reporting suspicions of money laundering or other organised criminal activity;
- Using disciplinary procedures, employment sanctions, contract termination clauses and publicity where appropriate;
- Taking steps to recover any proceeds of fraud directly or through the courts;
- Co-operating with other public bodies and agencies including sharing of information (as permitted under law) and supporting anti-fraud and -corruption work specifically and generally.
To deliver the vision and objectives of the strategy, there are 3 key parts to the strategy:
- Deterrence and Prevention
- Fraud response plan
- Recovery and criminal proceedings
To find out more about the Corporate Anti-Fraud and Anti-Corruption Policy and Strategy:
- Call: 030 33 33 3000
- Email: Corporatefinanceteam@dumgal.gov.uk