How Can I Help?
People across Dumfries and Galloway and beyond are looking for ways in which they can help support communities and individuals affected by the ongoing situation in Ukraine.
Our Council's approach is consistent with our actions during the Syrian and Afghan Crisis. We are working in partnership with specialist local organisations; D&G Refugee Action (Massive Outpouring of Love (MOOL)) and Dumfries and Galloway Multicultural Association (DGMA) and the Scottish Refugee Council (SRC).
Dumfries and Galloway Council has not yet been approached to participate in a Ukrainian Resettlement Scheme. However we will work with the COSLA Migration Partnership on our region's involvement in the same way we've done for the Syrian refugees and Afghan citizens if and when this is requested.
The UK Government has announced two routes for Ukrainian refugees to come to the UK. The first is the 'Ukraine Family Scheme Visa' for immediate family members of UK-based Ukrainians. To find our more visit 'Ukrainian Family Visa Scheme'
The second is the Homes for Ukraine Scheme. Anyone seeking to accommodate Ukrainians in their own homes should follow the link below for information which includes details on how to register.
Dumfries and Galloway Council has not yet been approached to participate in a Scheme to support Ukrainians however we will work with the COSLA Migration Partnership about our region's involvement, in the same way we've done for the Syrian refugees and Afghan citizens if and when this is requested.
Our Council agreed on 31 March to participate in Ukrainian refugee resettlement schemes and to discuss with CoSLA potential Council support to a Ukrainian Council. Please see report in link below:
The Russian invasion has resulted in millions of refugees fleeing Ukraine. There are 4 possible ways for refugees from Ukraine to enter Scotland:
- UK Government Family Visa Scheme (links with immediate family members, arranged directly between the hosts and a Ukrainian)
- UK Government Individual and Community Sponsor Homes for Ukraine Scheme (arranged directly between a host UK resident or host community organisation and a refugee)
- Scottish Government Super Sponsor Scheme (matching of families to properties arranged between CoSLA and a Scottish Local Authority, with accommodation and support arranged by the local authority)
- Unannounced arrivals, with a particular focus on 5 points of entry: Aberdeen, Dundee, Edinburgh, Glasgow and Stranraer (ports at Cairnryan and Loch Ryan)
Massive Outpouring of Love (MOOL) volunteers are arranging transportation of donations, currently stored in a Council provided depot to be shipped abroad.
MOOL's website with details about what donations are required can be found at: www.mool.scot/donate
- email email@example.com
- website www.mool.scot/
- Facebook group Massive Outpouring Of Love - D&G Refugee Action | Facebook
Dumfries and Galloway Multi-Cultural Association (DGMA) exists to support people from ethnic, religious and cultural minorities.
Please note that as of 15 March 2022, DGMA is no longer accepting further physical donations.
You can find out more information on the Community Planning Partnership Resettlement Project Board in Dumfries and Galloway.
If you would like to enquire further please contact Resettlementproject@dumgal.gov.uk