Register to vote
You need to be registered to vote in UK elections and referendums. Everyone who is registered to vote is listed on the electoral register.
To register to vote, you must:
- be resident in the electoral area
- be a British or Irish citizen, a qualifying foreign national or European Union citizen. In Scotland, to qualify a foreign citizen must be resident in Scotland and either have leave to enter or remain in the UK or not require such leave
- be 14 or over
- 16/17 year olds can vote at Scottish Parliamentary and Local Government elections
- you have to be 18 or over to vote at UK Parliamentary or European Parliamentary elections
- not be subject to any legal incapacity to vote
Other groups can register to vote in special circumstances:
- British citizens living abroad
- Members of the Armed Forces
- Crown servants or British Council employees
- Eligible voters with no fixed address
Local Government Election Thursday 5 May 2022
The next scheduled election is the Scottish Local Government Election, which will be held on Thursday 5 May 2022. Forty-three members will be elected to represent the 12 Wards of Dumfries and Galloway Council.
- The deadline for registration is midnight Monday 18 April.
- The deadline for Postal Vote Applications is 5pm Tuesday 19 April
- The deadline for Proxy Vote Applications is 5pm Tuesday 26 April
- Polling Stations are open from 7am to 10pm
Please pay particular attention to your poll card when it arrives, to ensure you know where to vote.
Register or tell us about a change
You can use an online service to register or update the details you registered:
You can also:
- Call 01387 260627
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Your details will be added to the electoral register . We use the register at elections and it can be used for things such as detecting fraud or calling you for jury service.
The electoral register can be viewed under supervision at:
- Municipal Chambers, Buccleuch Street, Dumfries, DG1 2AD
To make an appointment please call 01387 260627 or email email@example.com
In addition the electoral register may be viewed at the following locations.
- Stranraer Library, North Strand Street, Stranraer DG9 7LD
- Kirkcudbright Library, Daar Road Offices, Kirkcudbright, DG6 4PJ
- Annan Library, Annan Town Hall, High Street, Annan DG12 6AQ
To make an appointment at any of these locations please call 030 33 33 3000 and select option 2. Opening hours vary depending on the site.
An extract of the full register, called the open or edited register, is also available for anyone to purchase. Your name and address are included in the open register unless you ask us to remove them. You can still vote if your details are removed.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your full name and address if you want to opt out of the open register.