Car Park Order 2023
Dumfries and Galloway Council (Various Vehicle Parking Places) (Use and Waiting Restrictions) Parking Places Order 2023
The existing Car Parks Traffic Regulation Order for the region was introduced in 1985, to enforce waiting/ parking restrictions on various vehicles and for permitted activities in over 100 Council operated car parks.
There have been numerous amendments to this Order up to as recently as 2015. The Order required a refresh and updating to take account of the current car park schedule and parking facilities, vehicle and waiting restrictions, parking behaviours and enforcement to provide a more detailed and comprehensive Order.
Statement of reasons
The Dumfries and Galloway Council, in accordance with its general function as to the provision of off-street parking arrangements within Dumfries and Galloway and its ongoing responsibility to review such arrangements under the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 (Parts I to III of Schedule 9 and Sections 32, 33 and 35), and other enabling enactments hereby make provision for off-street parking places in order to:
- Manage off-street parking places to encourage effective traffic management in order to relieve or prevent congestion with a mix of short and long stay parking places for use by varying vehicle classes.
- Enable more effective management and enforcement, update exemptions to bring in line with new legislation and to address inappropriate use and failure to comply with the signs and markings which create problems for users of these parking places.
- Balance a number of competing objectives, i.e. effective managing of off-street places, encouraging high turnover of spaces in town centres to improve their economic viability and encourage safe, accessible and convenient parking throughout Dumfries and Galloway and to extend the ability to suspend the Order in whole or in part to allow for relaxation when required.
- Alter and make provision relating to contravention of the conditions on parking places and the issuing of notification of a charge by Council Officers with delegated authority, to ensure that the Council can undertake effective and efficient enforcement activities.
- Introduce provision for electric vehicle charging bays in terms of enforcement. The Order will include a contravention for parking a vehicle in those bays unless the vehicle is an electric or a hybrid vehicle and it is charging up. This will enable the Council to enforce the misuse of the electric vehicle charging bays.
- Consolidate the existing car parking Orders within Dumfries and Galloway in addition to the inclusion of new parking places and allow for enforcement, regulation and management of off-street parking.
The Council has considered the interests of traffic and the interests of owners and occupiers of adjoining properties, including the need to maintain the free movement of traffic and the need to maintain access to premises. The Council has also considered the impact on the use of public service vehicles, private car use and the extent to which on and off-street parking is available. The Council has also considered the effect on the amenities of the localities affected and air quality. The Council has ensured adequate consulting of all affected bodies of these proposals through standard procedures including those bodies concerned with Common Good land.
The 'Parking Places Order 2023' comprises the following documents:
Any person who wishes to object to the proposed Order should send details, in writing and stating the grounds and including their name and address, to the undersigned by 30 June 2023.
- Head of Roads and Infrastructure, Communities Directorate, Dumfries and Galloway Council, Militia House, English Street, Dumfries DG1 2HR
- Call us: 030 33 33 3000