Freedom of Information (FOI)
The law gives you the right to ask for information held by us. This is called Freedom of Information or FOI.
Before you make a request
You might not need to make an FOI request to get the information you want.
We have a duty to maintain a publication scheme that contains information we regularly make available. You might be able to find the information you want by checking our Publication Scheme.
Tips for requesters
It can be a good idea to spend a little bit of time thinking about your request to get it right and ensure you receive the information you need. The Scottish Information Commissioner's website has some simple tips to help you:
Making an FOI request
You must make your request in writing:
- Email email@example.com
- Write to Information Management and Complaints Unit, 118 English Street, Dumfries, DG1 2DE
A valid request for information should:
- include your name and address (or email address) so we can respond
- clearly describe the information that you want
- focus on the information you really want to see
Any request that you make for information about environmental matters will be dealt with under the Environmental Information (Scotland) Regulations 2004.
When you'll get a response
You should get the information within 20 working days. We will either provide the information you requested or explain why the information can't be made available.
Some information such as personal data or commercially sensitive information may be exempt.
Most requests should be dealt with free of charge but you may be asked to cover the costs of locating, retrieving and assembling the information. This would include staff time, copying and postage costs.
- Free for the first £100 - although there may be a charge for photocopies
- Over £100 - we may charge you 10% of our costs and copying charges
- Over £600 - we do not have to supply the information
We will let you know if there will be a charge. You will have three months to decide whether you want to pay the charge once you receive a fees notice.