The George Hotel, Stranraer
The George Hotel in Stranraer was purchased by the Council on 13 December 2017 to enable the building to be safeguarded from ongoing deterioration with a view to it being restored and re-used.
The building is category B Listed and occupies a prominent corner site in the heart of Stranraer town centre.
What has happened so far?
- 2017 - Purchase of George Hotel
- 2019 - Work to secure structure
Consultation Work Undertaken:
- 2012 - Stranraer TLC Report
- 2018 - 10,000 Voices - Young People Consultation
- 2019 - Discussions with local residents
- 2019 - Discussions with Local Business
- 2019 - Stranraer Active Street Review
- 2021 - David Hume Institute: roots conversation
- 2021 - RSL housing test study
- 2021 - Scotland's Towns Partnership: Your Town Audit
- 2022 - Artists: What we do now.
- 2022 - Community Council Survey
- 2022 - Discussion with local groups
- 2022 - Wigtownshire Health and Wellbeing Partnership: Community Survey
- Building on the consultation work done to date, this stage calls for an initial exercise exploring potential options for the George Hotel Site and developing a concept design for one of these to include in a Levelling Up Funding application.
- The timescales for this stage are dictated by meeting the funding application deadline in early June 2022.
- Although the timescales are short the opportunity to secure substantial funding means that this is an opportunity not to be missed.
Next stages (if the bid is successful)
- Following this there will be a longer engagement process which will be led be others - Stranraer Development Trust (SDT) appointing dedicated staff for this with input from The Stove Network (creative place-making team who are based in Dumfries).
- Aim to develop community capacity and for local people to inform and drive the project forward.
Who's organised this and why?
This consultation event has been organised by Collective Architecture on behalf of Dumfries and Galloway Council. The event has been supported by Stranraer Development Trust (SDT) and facilitated by the Millennium Centre. Collective Architecture have been employed for approximately 1 month to develop a concept design for the regeneration of the George Hotel site. This design is to support a Levelling Up Funding application which Dumfries and Galloway Council will be making in June.
The aim of this consultation event is to gather local views on the concept proposals and for the local community to have the opportunity to inform the developing design. As the timeline above illustrates, this is the first step in a longer process and there will be more opportunities for input and consultation over the coming months and years.
As the timeline above illustrates, this is the first step in a longer process and there will be more opportunities for input and consultation over the coming months and years.
How to get involved
Fill out the feedback questionnaire - www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/HHNBR8J
This survey will also invite you to leave your contact details if you would like to be kept up to date and / or get involved in developing the project.
This consultation will close at midnight on Friday 27 May.