October 2023 Holiday Food Payment
Schools will close for the October holidays from Friday 13 October 2023 and will reopen to pupils on Monday 30 October 2023.
Our Council will be issuing a single payment of £25.00 (10 weekdays in school holiday period x £2.50 per day) per child to all families who are registered for Free School Meals on financial grounds within our region.
Who will receive the payment?
- Children in P1-P5 who are eligible due to low income or qualifying benefits only. Children in P1-P5 who receive Universal Free School Meals but do not meet the financial qualifying conditions for Free School Meals are not eligible for these additional payments.
- Children in P6-S6 who receive Free School Meals will be eligible for the payment.
- Younger children in an early learning and childcare setting who meet the eligibility for Free School Meals (low income or qualifying benefits) will also receive the payment.
Is the payment per family or per child?
- Payment of £25.00 will be made for each eligible child in the household.
- Where more than one child qualifies in a household, a payment covering all children will be made.
How will I receive the payment?
- Payment will be made automatically for all eligible children registered to receive Free School Meals. There is no need to reapply. We will use the payment details we currently hold for you.
- If your payment details have changed since you received previous payments, you must tell us as soon as possible using this form:
When will I receive the payment?
- We will aim to make the payment by Friday 13 October 2023, for all eligible children already in receipt of Free School Meals, or who have applied for and have been awarded Free School Meals by Friday 6 October 2023:
- We will use the payment details we currently hold for you to make payment.
- All eligible children, who apply for, and are awarded Free School Meals after Friday 6 October 2023, but before Friday 13 October 2023, will receive payment after the October school holidays.
I have not applied for Free School Meals, but I think I qualify. Will I get the payment?
- To qualify for the October Holiday Food Payment your application for Free School Meals must be submitted by Friday 13 October 2023. The earlier you apply, the more likely you are to receive the payment prior to the start of the school holidays, and/or later applications cannot be guaranteed to be paid in time for the holidays.
- New applications can be made online using our existing Clothing Grant and Free School Meals application form.
The application is quick and easy to complete. You will need your National Insurance Number and bank account details.
If you are in receipt of Council Tax Reduction, we may be able to use the information we already hold to make an assessment on your application.
If you are not in receipt of Council Tax Reduction, you may be asked to provide proof of your eligibility when you apply. For example, if you are in receipt of Universal Credit, you will need to provide screenshots of your most recent assessment period showing your full award, inclusive of any deductions to your award. If you receive Child Tax Credit, you will need to provide a copy of your full Tax Credit Letter of Award. If you are liable for Council Tax at your current address and believe you may be eligible for Council Tax Reduction, you can make a claim online at www.dumgal.gov.uk/benefits.
Effect on other benefits
- If you receive Universal Credit, then this payment will be counted as capital. This will not normally affect the amount you receive unless you have savings or other capital totalling over £6,000. If you are concerned that this payment could impact your Universal Credit award, you should report the payment in your journal by signing into your Universal Credit account or by calling the Universal Credit helpline on 0800 328 5644.
- This payment will be disregarded in full for other benefits and for income tax purposes.