Roads Service Review
The Council is undertaking a review of the roads service to help us improve the service we deliver within our communities. As part of that we are very keen to hear your views and thoughts about the service we deliver.
Throughout October we will be engaging with our communities and we will be hosting an online question and answer session, and later in the month we'll be issuing a survey.
The online Q&A is an opportunity for everyone within Dumfries and Galloway to ask questions, have their say and for questions to be answered by a Roads Manager and Elected Member via an online video which will be streamed towards the end of October.
The roads service covers many areas of responsibility including the following:
- Active Travel (e.g. increasing opportunities for walking and cycling)
- Bridge Maintenance
- Co-ordination of Forestry Traffic
- Coordination of Utility Works e.g. gas roadworks
- Damage Insurance Claims
- Maintenance/Development and Upgrading of Assets inc.
- Planning and Development Control (e.g. new housing developments)
- Road Defects Repairs and Inspections e.g. potholes
- Road Safety
- Roads Drainage Repairs
- Roads Occupation Permits for Works (e.g. permission skips/scaffolding, etc)
- Roads Surfacing Projects
- Speed Limits and Traffic Calming
- Street Lighting Maintenance
- Street/Property Naming/ Gazetteers
- Traffic Control/Intelligent Transport Systems
- Traffic Regulation Orders (ensure statutory compliance)
- Winter Roads Gritting and Severe Weather Response
Dumfries and Galloway Council are responsible for over two and a half thousand miles of roads network across Dumfries and Galloway but are not responsible for the maintenance and repair of Trunk Roads i.e. the A75, this responsibility sits with Transport Scotland.
Ask a question
We would be grateful for your input and look forward to answering your questions about our Roads Service.
Use the 'answer' space at Question 1 to type in your question. We are asking for your name and email address so we can contact you with an answer to your question that may not be suitable for the online Q&A session, for example a personal question around access to your property etc. The name and email fields are optional though, so you do not have to complete these to ask a question.