The George Hotel, Stranraer
The George Hotel in Stranraer was purchased by the Council on 13 December 2017 to enable the building to be safeguarded from ongoing deterioration with a view to it being restored and re-used.
The building is category B Listed and occupies a prominent corner site in the heart of Stranraer town centre.
What has happened so far?
- 2017 - Purchase of George Hotel
- 2019 - Work to secure structure
Consultation Work Undertaken:
- 2012 - Stranraer TLC Report
- 2018 - 10,000 Voices - Young People Consultation
- 2019 - Discussions with local residents
- 2019 - Discussions with Local Business
- 2019 - Stranraer Active Street Review
- 2021 - David Hume Institute: roots conversation
- 2021 - RSL housing test study
- 2021 - Scotland's Towns Partnership: Your Town Audit
- 2022 - Artists: What we do now.
- 2022 - Community Council Survey
- 2022 - Discussion with local groups
- 2022 - Wigtownshire Health and Wellbeing Partnership: Community Survey
- Building on the consultation work done to date, an initial exercise exploring potential options for the George Hotel Site was commenced. Collective Architecture was employed by Dumfries and Galloway Council to develop a concept design to include in a Levelling Up Funding application. This work was completed during the spring and summer of 2022. Concept designs were shared with the public to gather feedback and inform design development.
- The timescales for this stage were dictated by meeting the funding application deadlines with the funding application being submitted in August 2022.
- A longer engagement process is ongoing led be others with Stranraer Development Trust (SDT) appointing dedicated staff for this with input from The Stove Network (creative place-making team who are based in Dumfries).
- This exercise aims to develop community capacity and for local people to inform and drive the project forward.
For more information and to view the current proposals for the regeneration of the George Hotel, click the link below:
Download the George Hotel Consultation Boards >> [PDF - 7.31MB]
Next stages (if the bid is successful)
- The design team will continue to develop detailed designs and plan the delivery of the project.
Page last updated: 12/01/2023