Farm waste

As of 1 January 2019 we are not permitted to collect farm waste along with domestic waste.

If you produce farm waste such as plastic films, twines etc. you have a legal duty to take measures to apply the waste hierarchy. This means, in order of preference, you should ideally avoid generating waste, reduce the amount of waste generated on farm or reuse the materials to extend their useful life  The most practical steps you can take are to:

  • Recycle your waste by engaging with a specialist contractor.
  • Recover your waste by other means, e.g. by sending to an authorised Energy from Waste facility.
  • As a last resort, dispose of your waste to an authorised landfill. You may need a Professional Collectors and Transporters of Waste to access the landfill. There is no fee for this.
  • If a land manager carries anybody's waste other than their own, even if it is from another land manager, then they must be a registered waste carrier (RWC). Online registration is available and there is registration fee for this - View information on waste carriers registration .

Further information on managing farm plastics can be found


Page last updated: 07/05/2019
email icon print icon