Parental Involvement - ask us to look again

We're committed to working with parents and carers to support learning. You can ask us to 'look again' if you're unhappy, concerned or have questions about decisions made around your parental involvement.

What is our policy approach to Parental Involvement and Engagement?

Education and Learning Directorate is committed to working with parents to support learning for children and young people in our schools and in our local communities. To support you, we will be sharing information, resources and useful links for parents and families through our schools' pages:

However, if you would like to help us improve how we work with parents or if you are unhappy, concerned or have questions about decisions made around your parental involvement you can ask us to Look Again.

Who can Ask us to Look Again?

Anyone who is a parent/carer: A 'parent' is defined as "including guardian and any person who is liable to maintain or has parental responsibilities such as non-­resident parents, foster carers and relatives who are caring for children for a range of different reasons."

What can you ask us?

Any of the following can be looked at again:

Learning and Teaching - your involvement in School Improvement Planning and supporting your child's learning.

Parent Council Support - the support available to help you run your Parent Council, sharing your work with all parents, and supporting your school.

Policies - linked to Parental Involvement as part of the National Improvement Framework (NIF), and how we communicate and seek views on policies where we have an ability to influence change.

Council Planning - how the outcomes set by Dumfries and Galloway Council are met through our Education Authority Plan.

How do we Look Again?

We would ask that first you discuss any individual school related concerns / issues with your school:

  • Nursery/Primary Class teacher if the enquiry relates to classroom practice.
  • Headteacher if the enquiry relates to whole school matters, or you require an unresolved classroom issue to be discussed further.
  • Parent Council if your enquiry relates to whole school matters linked to parents as partners.
  • In Secondary, the teacher with responsibility for Personal, Social and Emotional Supervision followed by the Headteacher.

If you are not happy with the response you receive, the decision that has been made OR you would like to work with us on plans for Parental Involvement or Engagement: - Just Ask.

How to ask us?

You can ask us by emailing:

and letting us know what you want to discuss. At this point an Officer will contact you and discuss your query. We will share directly with you the outcome of this work.

If you remain dissatisfied, remember you can also access Dumfries & Galloway Have Your Say Compliments & Complaints

You can submit a Complaint, Comment or Compliment online using the following link: sending an email to telephoning directorate support on 01387 260444, or by writing to:

Freepost RTHK-RAGT-KTHT Information Management and Complaints Unit Council Headquarters English Street Dumfries, DG1 2DD.

We will always try to resolve your complaint quickly, within 5 working days if we can. Most complaints are resolved at this stage but if you are still unhappy there are further steps you can take. Find out more about our complaints' procedureMaking a complaint - Dumfries and Galloway Council (

Education and Learning Directorate/ Telephone: 30 33 33 3000


Page last updated: 09/03/2023
email icon print icon