Household waste collection (all areas except Wigtownshire)
Residents in Annandale, Eskdale, Nithsdale and the Stewartry can have household waste collected every week by using their wheeled bins or an allowance of council refuse sacks.
Residents in Wigtownshire have started using recycling services, find out more:
- Food waste recycling in Wigtownshire
- Glass, metal, plastic, paper and cardboard recycling in Wigtownshire
We're in the process of updating our online calendars to reflect the new collection services. In the meantime, call 030 33 33 3000 to find out which day your waste is collected.
Waste should be put out on the kerbside by 7:30am on your collection day.
Properties that don't/can't use a wheeled bin must put waste in white council branded waste sacks, waste sacks can be bought from one of our our local Customer Service Centres .
We can provide an assisted collection service if you have problems putting waste out for collection:
There might be a reason we haven't collected your waste. Waste isn't lifted if:
- bins are overflowing with raised lids
- bins are damaged/faulty and can't be moved easily
- waste is too heavy
- waste is obstructed and can't be moved without causing damage
- waste is placed in areas of deep mud or water
- waste wasn't out for collection before our crew arrived
Roadworks, breakdowns or unexpected events can often delay waste collections though.
You can consider your collection to have been 'missed' if we've not collected it by 4pm on your normal collection day. Let us know if our crew hasn't collected your waste:
What we can collect
Most household waste can be placed in wheeled bins and refuse sacks, including:
- food and drink packaging including glass, metal and plastic
- household glass, metal, wood and plastic items
- cooked and uncooked food items
- nappies and sanitary products
- pet waste
- garden waste
- cleaning products
- small household appliance items
What we can't collect
Certain item should not be included in household waste:
- building rubble
- excessive amounts of sand
- excessive amounts of grass sods
- heavy/large household appliances including televisions and microwaves
- hot ash
- sharp objects
- Farm waste
You can also pay us to collect and dispose of large items or lots of waste from your home that won't fit in your bin such as sofas, garden waste, bikes and mattresses. We offer a separate white goods uplift service for domestic appliances such as fridges and washing machines.
Additional Waste bins and sack capacity
Should you have 6 or more in your household or have a medical condition that results in you producing more waste please complete the relevent application and the privacy notice form and return to Additional Waste, EEI, Cargen Tower, Garroch Business Park, Garroch Loaning, Dumfries, DG1 8PN. Failure to return both forms will result in a delay in your application.