Support for Learners
Some children and young people need extra help in school to make progress.
It's our job to:
- identify additional support needs
- provide the additional support required
- monitor the needs and support we provide
- respond to requests for assessment from parents
Questions about your child or young person
You should discuss any concerns about your child's progress or well-being at school with the class teacher or head teacher in your primary school or the pupil support teacher in your secondary school in the first instance.
Further information and advice
You can contact our Supporting Learners Team:
- Email: email@example.com
- Call 01387 273784
- Write to 122 - 124 Irish Street, Dumfries, DG1 2PB
Independent advice and information is also available from:
- Enquire - the Scottish advice service for additional support needs
- Govan Law Centre - supporting pupils' and parents' rights in education
- Scottish Independent Advocacy Alliance - safeguarding vulnerable people
Supporting learners guidance
The Scottish Government launched its guidance on supporting learners 'with a presumption of mainstreaming in an education setting' in March 2019.
This guidance is in an accessible format which sets out the rights of children and young people aswell as the responsibilities of Local Authorities, along with relevant legislation and processes for decision making in relation to exceptional circumstances.
We are now reviewing our processes, policies and procedures in support of this new guidance. The detail of the work and approach can be found in the following Committee paper reviewed by CYPLL Committee in May 2019:
This work starts with the 'better relationships, better learning, better behaviour ' approach as detailed in the guidance from Scottish Government and Education Scotland which will be captured in a framework to be shared Autumn 2019.
- View more information on Better Relationships approach - Education Scotland
- - Scottish Government
This will also be supported by a 'steps for intervention' document with imbedded policies and procedures which are currently being worked on.