Preparing for flooding
Flooding can happen suddenly and with little warning. It is important to be prepared for flooding with a plan in place to protect your home, belongings and family.
You can also:
Protecting your property
Property owners are responsible for protecting their property from flooding. For a quick guide explaining what PFR is, Ciria have created this animation. We can help with a free flood survey and you may qualify for help to buy flood protection equipment through our Property Flood Resilience Product Subsidy Scheme.
- Protect your property with reduced cost equipment
- Familiarise yourself with how to turn off your gas and electricity and water
- Keep drains clear to allow surface water to escape
- find out information on our flood pod and sandbag policy
- Take 'before' photographs of your property and contents
- Back up important computer data and protect items that can't be replaced
- Move your car to higher ground if it's safe to do so
It's a good idea to have a resilience plan as a community, so that neighbours with local knowledge can help each other alongside the emergency services
Businesses and organisations
Dumfries and Galloway Council is also offering a grant of up to £3,000 to businesses and organisations to become more Flood Resilient. This fund will complement the Flood Product Subsidy Scheme which covers products to prevent ingress of water into the property. Please note that the Flood Resilience Grant is only available for premises that have been flooded at least once in the last 5 years or twice in the last 10 years. The fund will be open to applications from the 5th September 2023 until the 31st December 2023, or sooner if the fund becomes fully subscribed. For more information click weblink: https://www.bgatewaydumgal.com/how-we-can-help/climate-resilience-fund/
Having insurance is highly advisable
Household emergency lifesaving plan
A plan you and your family make for times of emergency means you have information to hand which will be useful during utility outages. Keep the plan in a safe place as part of an emergency pack.
Household emergency lifesaving pack
A household emergency lifesaving pack contains essential equipment and supplies to help you during utility failures. The pack should be prepared in advance and kept safe for future use.
The Scottish Flood Forum
The Scottish Flood Forum is a charitable organisation which supports individuals and communities at risk of flooding and that have flooded. It specialises in flood recovery and resilience.
- Ready for Flooding leaflet
- Household Flood Plan leaflet
- Flood Toolkit - a useful guide to flood protection for property owners including:
- Homeowners Guide to Property Flood Resilience (PFR) leaflet, and
- Virtual Tour of the Flood Mobile - providing examples of PFR
- Property Protection Advisor - this is a simple 'ready reckoner' tool that raises awareness of the options available and initial costs towards flood resistance measures for different types of properties
- Chartered Institute of Loss Adjusters Guide to Professional Conduct
- For further information visit www.scottishfloodforum.org