You can make a compensation claim against the council if you've suffered personal injury, property damage or financial loss and believe it was a direct result of our negligence. Please note there is no automatic right to compensation.
Make a claim
You won't be able to submit a claim until you've entered all of the information we require in the form. You'll need to provide:
- your personal/contact details (including a National Insurance number)
- contact details for your legal representative (if applicable)
- details of the incident (circumstances, date/time, exact location)
- details of the injury/loss/damage
- contact details of any witnesses (if applicable)
- a Police incident number (if applicable)
You will be able to save the form if you don't have all the information readily available.
Please call 030 33 33 3000 if you are experiencing difficulties completing this form.
What happens next
The basic process for all claims is:
- We will acknowledge your claim immediately and provide a reference number, and a link which will allow you to track your claim.
- We will assign your claim to the relevant department for investigation within 5 working days.
- We will pass details of your claim and our investigation to our insurers (Zurich Municipal) within 4 to 6 weeks.
- You will receive an email to let you know when your claim has been passed to our insurers.
- You will receive an acknowledgement from our insurers (including their reference number) within 5 working days of them receiving your claim.
- Our insurers will make an independent decision based on the information provided and they'll notify you directly of the outcome.
The process may take longer if the claim is particularly complex.
Track a claim
You can track the progress of our claim at any time via the link below.
If your claim has been acknowledged by Zurich Municipal (the Council's insurers) you will need to speak to them directly to receive an update on your claim. Contact Zurich Municipal on 0800 328 8491, quoting the reference they provided.
Challenge a decision
The Council have no say in the insurer's decision or any subsequent challenge.
You can challenge the decision on your claim with our insurers if you're not satisfied. They'll be able to offer further information on the appeal process for you. Contact Zurich Municipal on 0800 328 8491, quoting the reference they provided, to find out more.