Comment on a planning application
Anyone can support or object to planning applications. All applications are published online, immediate neighbours will receive a formal notification and some planning applications will be advertised in local newspapers.
Grounds for commenting
We can only consider comments which relate to planning issues such as:
- local and national planning policy and guidance
- traffic, access or parking
- impact of the proposal on the built or natural environment,
- design / materials / scale of the proposal and its relationship to its surroundings,
- residential amenity such as noise, overshadowing, overlooking, etc,
- effect on the setting of a Listed Building or the character and appearance of a Conservation Area
Comments on non-planning matters, such as the effect on property values, loss of a view or commercial/business competition can't be considered.
Comments of objection or support must be made in writing either within 21 days of the date of the neighbour notification or before the end of the newspaper advert period (where applicable). If comments are late or are only made on non-planning grounds, they will not be accepted.
You can also:
- Email email@example.com
- Write to the Head of Planning and Regulatory Services at Development Management, Kirkbank House, English Street, Dumfries, DG1 2HS
You'll need to provide:
- your full name and address
- the date
- your email address (if you have one)
- an application reference number and property address
- the grounds on which you're commenting
Comments can't be treated as confidential because they are published on our website. However, personal details such as telephone numbers, email addresses and signatures will be removed.
Petitions of objection or support can also be submitted. A petition is regarded as a single representation regardless of how many names it contains. Only the lead petitioner will receive any correspondence in relation to the application.
Community Councils have special status and consultation arrangements for comments.
We do not send out acknowledgement letters or letters confirming the decision. All of the valid comments we receive within time are published online alongside the other documents related to an application Please allow 5 working days for your comments to appear online. We will consider these representations when we make a decision on a planning application.
A planning officer usually makes decisions but in some cases it may be up to a council committee. If we receive six or more letters of objection then the application will have to be considered by the Planning Applications Committee.
We continually review customer feedback to improve the service we offer and the views of objectors and supporters of planning applications are an important of this. You can provide comments by completing a short survey: