Swimmers of every age and ability can take swimming lessons in our pools.
Lessons for babies, toddlers and younger children
Our early years programme allows parents/carers to help babies and young children enjoy the water. They can improve movement, balance and breathing with fun and games. There are three levels for early years learners:
- Adult and baby
- Adult and toddler
- Adult and child
These sessions are a great start in the water and lead directly to the Learn to Swim Programme. You can both enjoy spending time playing and learning together.
Lessons for children
Children can join our Learn to Swim programme and move through five levels with help from our qualified instructors:
- Swim skills 1
- Swim skills 2
- Swim skills 3
- Swim skills 4
Lessons for adults
Adults who are beginning to swim or want to improve can join our adult programme and we will build your confidence so that you enjoy being in the water. There are two levels for adults:
- Basic water confidence / beginners
- Teaching adult
You will get some one-to-one time if you are a beginner so that you quickly make real progress. As you improve we will focus on strokes, strength and endurance.
You can also get one-on-one teaching which allow you to learn at your own pace. We want you to feel relaxed and comfortable. Private lessons also mean we can adjust each session to meet your needs.
Benefits of the Learn to Swim Scheme
- Annual programme delivered over 47 weeks
- Dumfries and Galloway Leisure and Sport will provide a minimum of 45 lessons
- Continuous lessons throughout the school holidays
- Lessons are all 40 minutes
- Free junior swimming membership in all Dumfries and Galloway Council swimming pools
- Cost of lessons spread throughout the year
- Seamless pathway through the class levels
- Triple S (Scotland Safer Swimming) Award
- Unlimited adult access when accompanying a swim scheme member at a 50% reduction (1 adult per child)
- No changes to classes - stay at the same time and same day throughout the main four levels
- No need to queue for re-enrolment
- Regular feedback on progress
Register your interest
Sign up for email newsletters
You can subscribe to email updates to get the latest news on swimming lessons straight to your inbox.