Getting married in Dumfries and Galloway

You need to contact us and complete paperwork if you are planning to get married in this region.

A number of documents have to be submitted to one of our registration offices along with the relevant fees payment. This can be done within 3 months of the marriage date and no later than 29 days before that date.

Find your nearest registrar

Information required

Both parties will need to provide:

  • a marriage notice application (Form M10)
  • the appropriate fees
  • a birth certificate
  • a passport
  • proof of address (dated within the last three months)
  • proof of being widowed (if appropriate)
  • proof of a divorce or annulment (if appropriate)
  • a certificate of no impediment showing you can marry (if you live outside the UK or have lived here less than 2 years)
  • a Declaration of Immigration Status (if you are not British, a national of the European Economic Area or Swiss)

A certified translation must be provided with any documents you submit that are written in a language other than English.


The amount you pay depends on how you'd like to get married. Marriage fees must be paid when you submit your documents.

Statutory fees
Notice fee - £30 per person (non-refundable)
Civil marriage solemnisation or civil partnership registration - £55
Marriage or civil partnership certificate - £10

Enhanced fees - for ceremonies taking place on or after Monday 1 April
Advance booking for registration office ceremony - £91 (non-refundable)
Registration office ceremony with more than 8 guests - £96
Registrar's attendance at authorised venue ceremony - £209 (non-refundable)
Registration on a Saturday - £118
Registration on a Sunday or public holiday - £178

Payment must be made within 2 working days of submitting your application and cancellations must be submitted in writing.

There are a number of ways to pay:

What happens next

We'll produce a Marriage Schedule once we've processed your paperwork and are happy that there are no legal reasons that the marriage can't go ahead. A marriage can't take place without the Marriage Schedule and you need to sign it on the day.

Our registrar will bring the Marriage Schedule to the ceremony if you're having a civil marriage but you need to collect it from the office if you're having a religious or belief ceremony.

Marriage certificates

We will officially register the marriage afterwards and send you a copy of the marriage certificate when it is ready. The cost is included in our initial charges.

Page last updated: 07/05/2019
email icon print icon Bookmark and Share