Record a change of name
You can apply to the National Records of Scotland for a change of name.
Who can have their name changed
You can apply for a change of name if one of the following applies:
- born in Scotland
- subject of a parental order made in Scotland
- legally adopted in Scotland
- in the Gender Recognition Register
Who can apply
You can apply yourself if you are over 16 years of age.
An application for a person under 16 must be made by:
- the parent with parental responsibilities (if one parent has parental responsibilities)
- both parents (if two parents have parental responsibilities)
- any person with parental responsibilities (if neither parent has parental responsibilities)
What can be recorded
There is a limit to the number of changes that can be recorded:
- One change of forename and one change of surname for a child under 16
- One change of forename and three changes of surname for people over 16
A period of 5 years must pass between changes of surname.
Apply for a change of name
Get application forms, find out more and check costs: