Overpayment of benefits

We may pay you too much benefit if you don't tell us about a change in your circumstances straight away. You'll have to pay this money back.

We'll write to tell you:

  • that you have been overpaid
  • how much we have overpaid and how we calculated this
  • the period when we overpaid you
  • if you have to pay an amount back
  • how you can appeal

Paying us back

Pay online by card

You can also:

  • Call 0303 333 3006 and pay by card
  • Visit a Customer Service Centre and pay by cash, card or cheque
  • Write to Benefits, Carruthers House, English Street, Dumfries, DG1 2HP enclosing a cheque made payable to Dumfries and Galloway Council (write your invoice reference number on the back)

Help with an overpayment

Call us as soon as possible if you can't pay the full amount. We can arrange a way for you to pay.

Tell us about a change

You should always let us know if your address or circumstances change for any reason.

Report a change of address

Report another change of circumstances

You can also:

Page last updated: 22/01/2024
email icon print icon