Reviewing a crisis or community care grant application
We have a process to help if you're unhappy with a decision we've made about your application for a crisis grant or community care grant through the Scottish Welfare Fund.
Request a review
You can ask us to look at the decision again. This is called a First Tier Review.
You'll need to write to us within 20 days of the decision being made and provide:
- the date and reference number from your decision letter
- the reason you disagree with our decision
- any extra information or documents you think will help
- your signature
A different member of our team will look at your application and let you know their decision. We'll call you within 2 working days for a crisis grant review or write to you within 15 working days for a community care grant review.
Request a independent review
You can request an independent review by the Scottish Public Services Ombudsman (SPSO) if you still disagree with our decision after a First Tier Review. You'll need to contact the SPSO within one month of the First Tier Review decision:
- Ask the SPSO for an independent review online
- Call 0800 014 7299 (all calls are free)
- Write to FREEPOST SPSO (this is the full address and no stamp is needed)
The SPSO will start work straight away and make a decision within 1 working day for crisis grants and 21 working days for community care grants once they have all the information they need.
You can also make a complaint if you feel you've been treated badly or unfairly: