Dumfriesshire Educational Trust
The scheme awards financial assistance to residents and looked after young people who live in Dumfriesshire and are either attending or looking to attend educational activities.
Educational activities can include:
- attending a course
- obtaining a qualification
- obtaining practical experience in a trade
- promoting education in visual arts
- promoting education in music
Financial assistance may also be available for travel or equipment expenses that arise with educational activities.
From 2018 the Dumfriesshire Educational Trust will only consider applications which meet the following criteria:
- normally a resident in Dumfriesshire
- educated in Dumfriesshire for at least 5 years
- in or have been in receipt of Educational Maintenance allowance (or a similar benefit)
- enrolled or looking to enrol in further education at a College or University
Looked after young people
The Trust will also consider applications from 'looked after children' under the age of 18, who are in an educational course with a recognised qualification. They need to meet the following criteria:
- have been looked after or are currently being looked after within the last 3 years
- their address is currently or has been within the former boundary of Dumfries within the last 3 years
How to apply
Applications can be made throughout the year and should be returned before the specified closing date given for each type of educational activity or course. Closing dates can be found on the application forms supplementary guidance:
The Trust holds meetings every 3 months. Applicants will be informed of their success after the quarterly meetings have taken place.
Payments can be made either by cheque or directly to the applicants personal account.
The Edinburgh Dumfriesshire Scholarship also available to secondary school pupils who have been mainly educated in Dumfriesshire and are looking to attend higher education at Edinburgh University.
You can get in touch for further information:
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Call 01387 245967
- Write to Clerk to the Dumfriesshire Educational Trust, Municipal Chambers, Buccleuch Street, Dumfries, DG1 2AD