Apply to transfer a premises licence
A premises licence holder may apply to transfer a premises licence to another person, partnership or company. The sale of alcohol without the appropriate licence is a criminal offence.
A person other than the premises licence holder can also apply for a transfer if:
- the premises licence holder (an individual) dies or becomes incapable
- the premises licence holder (a partnership or a company) is dissolved
- the premises licence holder becomes insolvent
- the business is transferred to another person
You can also request a variation of the licence as part of the application to transfer the licence. For example, if the premises are being sold then the new owner may want to change the information contained within the operating plan of the premises licence.
How to apply
You must apply within 28 days of the circumstances changing:
- Download an application to transfer a licence [50kb]
- Download an application to transfer a licence due to death, incapacity and insolvency [56kb]
You'll need to provide:
- details of the premises
- details of the licence holder
- the date of proposed transfer
- details of the proposed licence holder
- the original premises licence (or an explanation of this can't be provided)
- the required fee
Fee and payment
The fee varies depending on what you are applying for:
- basic transfer of licence (without a variation) - £60
- transfer of licence with a variation - £190
There are a number of ways to pay:
- Send cash or a cheque (payable to Dumfries and Galloway Council) when you submit your application
- Call 01387 245922 and pay by credit or debit card
What happens next
We consider all applications in line with the Licensing (Scotland) Act 2005. A copy of the application is forwarded to Police Scotland who will confirm whether the transferee or any connected person has been convicted of a relevant or foreign offence. If the Chief Constable considers it necessary for the purposes of any of the licensing objectives that the application should be refused, he may include a recommendation to that effect.
A transfer application will be granted and an updated premises licence issued at the earliest possible date or a date requested by the applicant.