Search site

Annual business rates bills

You should receive your annual business (non-domestic) rates bill during April. Pay your bill by Direct Debit, online or by telephone.

Here are answers to some frequently asked questions that might help you:

How can I appeal if my Rateable Value has increased following revaluation?

Appeals can be made until Saturday 30 September.

You can also:

Do I still need to make payment of my business rates if I have lodged a rateable value appeal?

Yes, payment should be made in accordance with your most recent bill until you are advised otherwise. 

Why doesn't the Scottish Government cap on non-domestic rates in the hospitality industry show on my bill?

The legislation to cap rises on non-domestic rates bills for certain properties within the hospitality sector for 2017/18 has been introduced but it was too late for the annual bills.

The relief will only be granted on receipt of an application form. We are currently updating our system to deal with this and checking our records to identify those who might qualify. We'll issue application forms as soon as possible.

Email your details to or call 030 33 33 3000 if you'd like to request an application form. 

How do I apply for Rates Relief if I think I'm entitled?

You can also email or call 030 33 33 3000 to speak to a member of our team.

Do I have to claim additional relief if I'm already in receipt of a relief but my Rateable Value has been reduced?

No. If your rates bill currently shows relief this will have been amended automatically based on your new rateable value.

Email or call 030 33 33 3000 to speak to a member of our team if you think the relief you have been awarded is incorrect.


Why does my annual bill not show changes to my account that I've already advised you of?

The information for the bills was extracted from our database on Saturday 1 April. Your new change of circumstances won't show if you reported it after Friday 31 March but you'll get a new bill shortly.

We might not have been able to deal with some changes received before Friday 31 March but you'll be issued a new bill shortly if it's been processed.

Email or call 030 33 33 3000 to speak to a member of our team to report any change of circumstances if you haven't already. You will continue to be billed unless you advise us of any changes.

Can I pay by direct debit?

Yes. Direct debit is a convenient way to spread your payments and ensure that you do not miss an instalment.

How can I find out the rateable value of other Non Domestic Rates properties in Scotland?

The Scottish Assessors Association website shows rateable values for all non-domestic properties except those specifically excluded by law:

How do I arrange to pay business rates for a Self Catering Holiday Home which I currently pay Council Tax for?

You may be liable for business rates if your property is available for commercial let for 140 days or more per year.

Email or call 01387 260627 to see if your property can be added to the Valuation Roll.

You'll be sent a business rates bill when your property is added to the Valuation Roll. You may qualify for rates relief under the Small Business Bonus Scheme and we'll enclose an application form with your bill.

Page last updated: 07/04/17