Advice and grant support for private homeowners and tenants
Private homeowners are responsible for maintaining and repairing their homes but we can offer advice and, in some circumstances, financial support.
Scheme of Assistance
Our Scheme of Assistance sets out how we provide advice and assistance to help homeowners improve the quality of private housing in Dumfries and Galloway:
Below Tolerable Standards (BTS) private properties
We can provide advice and assistance if you own your house or are a private landlord and it falls below the tolerable standard.
To meet the tolerable standard a property must meet the following criteria:
- The main fabric of the property is structurally stable.
- There is an adequate supply of wholesome water and if there is a sink with a satisfactory supply of hot and cold water.
- The property has toilet facilities available for the exclusive use of the occupants of the house.
- The property is substantially free from rising or penetrating damp.
- The property has a fixed bath or shower and a wash hand basin, suitably located within the house and each has a satisfactory supply of hot and cold water.
- The property has an effective system for the drainage and disposal of foul and surface water.
Call 030 33 33 3000 to discuss your property and we'll take your details..
We may then visit the property to assess whether or not it falls below the tolerable standard.
Grants for lead pipe replacement
Call 030 33 33 3000 to arrange a test for lead content if you have lead piping carrying your drinking water.
Maintaining your property
We offer advice on maintaining your property and keeping it in good repair.