Search site

Advice and grant support for private homeowners and tenants

Private homeowners are responsible for maintaining and repairing their homes but we can offer advice and, in some circumstances, financial support.

Scheme of Assistance

Each council in Scotland sets out how it provides advice and assistance to help homeowners improve the quality of private housing in their region.

Grants for Below Tolerable Standards (BTS) private properties

If you own  your house or are a private landlord of a property and it falls below tolerable levels of repair we can provide guidance and may be able to provide some financial assistance. Grant funding is limited and may not be available at the time you apply.

To meet the tolerable standard a property must meet the following criteria:

  • The main fabric of the property is structurally stable.
  • There is an adequate supply of wholesome water and if there is a sink with a satisfactory supply of hot and cold water.
  • The property has toilet facilities available for the exclusive use of the occupants of the house.
  • The property is substantially free from rising or penetrating damp.
  • The property has a fixed bath or shower and a wash hand basin, suitably located within the house and each has a satisfactory supply of hot and cold water.
  • The property has an effective system for the drainage and disposal of foul and surface water.

We cannot provide financial assistance if:

  • you or the owner bought the house knowing its condition and were intending to develop it
  • you or the owner removed the standard amenities
  • you have owned the property for less 6 months
  • the property is less than 10 years old

Grants are awarded as a flat rate for most as follows

  • Private Landlords 30% of eligible costs
  • Owner Occupiers 50% of eligible costs
  • Owner Occupiers on eligible benefits 100% of eligible costs

Pensioners may request a financial assessment.

How to apply

Call 030 33 33 3000 and we'll ask some eligibility questions.

We may then visit the property to assess whether or not it falls below tolerable standards and if an application can be made.

Grants for lead pipe replacement

If you have lead piping carrying your drinking water please contact our us on 030 33 33 3000 to arrange a test for lead content. A grant may be available to help with the removal and replacement of these pipes.

Maintaining your property

We offer advice on maintaining your property and keeping it in good repair.

Page last updated: 01/08/16