Search site

Support for carers and young carers

We'll work with other local services to help if you provide a substantial amount of unpaid care to a family member or friend who is frail, suffers from a long term illness, disability, or mental health difficulty.

You have a right to have your own needs considered and to support from agencies, including our social work team. Together we have a joint carer's strategy for the region

You may need:

  • benefits or income advice
  • a break from caring - time for yourself
  • help with some of your caring tasks
  • to meet other carers and people who understand
  • support for your own health needs
  • training to support the caring that you do.

We are a Carer Positive Employer and recognise the importance of retaining experienced members of staff who find themselves in a caring role. Your employer may also have a policy in place to support carers.

Referrals and support plans

Dumfries and Galloway Carers Centre can provide you with a range information, advice and support.

Completing a carer referral form enables you to access support:

The Carers Centre can then provide you with a copy of the Adult Carers Support Plan to fill in which looks at your caring situation in more depth.

Young Carers

Contact the Carers Centre about their Young Carers Project if you're between 7 and 18 years old and look after someone. You can find information and support for any problems you have as well as having fun with other young carers.

Breaks for carers (respite)

You may need a break to give you time away from your caring duties. Our Short Breaks Bureau and 'Time to Live' funding can help:

Training for carers

The Care Training Consortium offers free short courses throughout the year.

We can also provide a free guide to safely moving and handling of people.

Other support

Dumfries and Galloway Carers Centre can provide a emergency card that identifies you as a carer in the event of an emergency. The card is designed to give you peace of mind when you're away from the person you care for.

If you find it difficult to talk about your caring situation and to ask for support you might like help from the Dumfries and Galloway Advocacy Service.

If the person you care for is in hospital then you can contact the Hospital Carers Support coordinators.

Our Financial Inclusion and Assessment Team (FIAT) can review any benefits and check that you have all the financial support available.

Page last updated: 11/07/17