Fishing in Dumfries
We manage fishing on the Nith and Cairn in Dumfries Burgh. Bag restrictions apply and no Sunday fishing is permitted.
Dumfries Burgh waters extend for 8 miles but most fishing activity takes place on:
- River Cairn - 400 yards above Newbridge to the River Nith
- River Nith - 300 yards above Martinton Bridge to the estuary
The Nith has about 20 named pools and the Cairn about 15. The mix of pools is suitable for fly, spinning and worming.
- Sea trout - Saturday 25 February to Tuesday 30 November (except Sundays)
- Salmon - Saturday 1 April to Tuesday 30 November (except Sundays)
- Brown trout - Wednesday 15 March to Friday 6 October
Regulations and restrictions
Regulations are included on our application form.
We have also adopted the Nith Conservation Policy (previously the Angling Code) which includes a number of additonal regulations such as permitting ticket holders to retain 2 salmon per season with a recommendation to achieve 80% catch and release.
A condition of the fishing ticket is for the return of all catch data. this helps support the collection of data for conservation.
Permits are available from:
- FishPal online
- Ewart Library, Catherine Street, Dumfries, DG1 1JB - download an application form [46kb]
Day tickets are also available from:
|Season ticket - Nithsdale resident||£119||£5||£45|
|Season ticket - visitor||£179.50||£5||-|
|Weekly ticket - Nithsdale resident||£59.50||£5||-|
|Weekly ticket - visitor||£89||£5||-|
|Daily ticket - Nithsdale resident||£26.50||-||-|
|Daily ticket - visitor special|
(until Wednesday 31 August)
|Daily ticket - visitor|
(from Thursday 1 September)
Residents of Nithsdale may be eligible for an 'Easy Access' concession if they can provide evidence that they meet any of the eligibility criteria. You must be:
- in receipt of Job Seeker Allowance (income based)
- in receipt of Income Support
- in receipt of Universal Credit
- aged over 60
- a full time student
- in receipt of Carers Allowance
- in receipt of Employment Support Allowance
- registered disabled
- in receipt of Disability Living Allowance
- in receipt of Attendance Allowance
- in receipt of Personal Independence Payment
- in receipt of Working Tax Credits
- in receipt of Bereavement Allowance
- in receipt of Widowed Parent's Allowance
- Armed Forces personnel
- a military veteran
Call 030 33 33 3000 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.