Council tax discounts and exemptions
You may be eligible for a discount on your council tax in special circumstances.
Reductions could be available if:
- you're the only resident aged 18 or over
- someone living in your home is disabled
- you're on a low income or benefits
- you live with someone who's on a low income
- your property is unoccupied for a short time or for a specific reason
- you're a full-time student
- someone from your household is in detention or prison
- your property is a purpose built holiday home
- someone living in your home has a severe mental impairment
- you live in a property that's tied to your job
- everyone who lives in the property is under 18 years old
- you are a care leaver
Certain groups can also be ignored when we're counting the people in your home and calculating your council tax.
Long term empty properties
We double council tax when a property's unoccupied for 12 months or more - this is called the Long Term Empty Property Tariff and is designed to encourage you to deal with empty properties. There are a number of exemptions available so that you aren't unfairly penalised though.