Food waste recycling in Wigtownshire
Residents in the Wigtownshire area can recycle food waste every week. Call 030 33 33 3000 to find out which day your food waste is collected.
How to recycle
- Put one of the free biodegradable liners into your kitchen caddy.
- Put all cooked and uncooked food waste into your kitchen caddy.
- Scrape leftover food off plates - including bones.
- Remove the liner from your kitchen caddy and replace with a new liner.
- Tie the full liner and place it in your kerbside caddy or use the communal food waste bin if you have one.
- Place your kerbside caddy at the kerbside by 7.30am every week on your collection day.
We also provide an assisted collection service for people who have difficulty handling a food caddy.
What you can recycle
You can use your food caddy to recycle all types of cooked and uncooked food:
- meat and bones
- fruit and cores
- vegetables and peelings
- bread, cakes and pastries
- rice, pasta and beans
- fish (including bones and skin)tea bags and coffee grounds
- leftovers when preparing meals
- leftovers from meals
- hard fats and lard
- out of date food
- pet food (including meat and dry food)
What you can't recycle
There are some things you can't put in your food caddy:
- plastic bags or wrappers
- food packaging
- liquids or oils
- pet waste
- straw or other animal bedding products
The free liners we provide are biodegradable and suitable for the processing plant. Don't use other types of bags to line your caddy.
Tie an unused liner (or any plastic bag) to the handle of your kerbside caddy when you're running low. We'll put more liners inside your caddy when we empty it.
You can collect more liners from your nearest Customer Service Centre.
Call 030 33 33 3000 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to request a replacement if one of your caddies is damaged.