Search site

Arranging a civil marriage or civil partnership ceremony

Civil marriage and civil partnership ceremonies can take place in registration offices or one of the other approved venues across Dumfries and Galloway.

Registration offices

There are a number of registration offices across the region where you can organise a civil ceremony. Our registrars can check availability and arrange the relevant paperwork for your marriage or civil partnership.

Find your nearest registrar

Authorised venues

Our registrars can also conduct civil ceremonies at authorised venues in Dumfries and Galloway. You should contact the venues to discuss availability and costs but you'll also need to contact a registration office to complete the required documents.

Call 01461 204914 if you'd like to conduct a ceremony at a venue which isn't already authorised. The process can take at least 6 weeks.


The ceremony costs will depend on the location and day of the week that you pick. Full marriage fees must be paid when you submit your documents.

Statutory fees
Notice fee - £30 per person (non-refundable)
Civil marriage solemnisation or civil partnership registration - £55
Civil marriage or civil partnership certificate - £10

Enhanced fees
Advance booking for registration office ceremony - £75 (non-refundable)
Registration office ceremony with more than 8 guests or larger room/suite - £79
Registrar's attendance at authorised venue ceremony - £172.50 (non-refundable)
Registration on a Saturday - £97
Registration on a Sunday or public holiday - £146.50

Payment must be made within 2 working days of submitting your application and cancellations must be submitted in writing.

There are a number of ways to pay:

  • Send cash or a cheque (payable to Dumfries and Galloway Council) when you submit your documentation
  • Pay by cash, cheque, credit or debit card at a registration office
  • Call a registrar to pay by credit or debit card

An additional charge of 1.8% applies to credit card payments.

Other charges may also apply at certain registration offices so ask your registrar for further details. Authorised venues will have additional costs for using their facilities.

Page last updated: 29/05/17